Login     Register    
Terra Eternus
For Earth Eternal, and beyond.

It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 am
FAQ    Chat      Search     

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Jakob, Shianu, and Abacus
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:10 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Mood: Bored

Blog: View Blog (3)
Main: Jakob Axion
Alt: Shianu Sabaton
Alt: Abacus Watchtower

fromt left: Jakob Axion, Shianu Sabaton, and Abacus Watchtower

See forthcoming posts for each character's biography.

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Jakob, Shianu, and Abacus
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:12 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Biography of Jakob Axion, male Foxen knight
Growing up, young Jakob wanted to be a sailor, so he apprenticed on a ship that sailed all around Europe. In this way, he saw much of the free lands before he was grown.

Then his ship was sunk by Anubians off the coast of Morocco. Jakob made it to shore and headed for the Strait of Gibraltar to be rescued. When he got there, he was almost dead from starvation, but the only edible thing he saw was a dead Shroomie. Though he knew he was probably committing a grievous sin, it was either eat the Amanita or die, and he chose to live.

Soon after, he was rescued, and he chose to become a freelance knight instead of a sailor.

While he fought many battles for freedom and justice, his soul remained tainted by his sin until one spring when he underwent a cleansing ritual on the island of Avalon, being blessed by the Earth Oracle in the presence of his fellow Beasts.

Jakob's other most notable exploit took place before his cleansing: he was one of a dozen Beasts who stopped a rogue mage from using long-lost technology of Man to dominate the land. It was here that he forged lifelong friendships with Abacus Watchtower, Shianu Sabaton, and Dax Jones.

The Final Empire has become his home. While he values his personal freedom, he sees the need for Beasts to stand together against the ever-growing evils that threaten them.

Jakob is a stout-hearted Foxen, but also has a sense of humor. If he sees the opportunity to make a joke in any situation, even serious ones, he usually will. His egalitarian attitude welcomes most people, though noble-minded Harts can get on his nerves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:13 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Biography of Abacus Watchtower, male Clockwork mage

The rotund Clockwork who can often be seen tending the Great Library doesn't strike one as the strong type. His disarming demeanor and courteous speech algorithms belie his strength as a Mage. More than one cutpurse who mistook him for an easy mark has mysteriously found him/herself in lockup, standing in a pool of ice water after having just been thawed out from the ice spell Abacus stopped them with. The Clockwork's amiability is not a ruse, though; he really is a proper gentleman. One would also never expect that his relationship with his co-archivists is often as stormy as Anglorese weather.

You see, Abacus is obsessed with Man. Not just the story of how Man came to be and then not to be, but with whatever else he can learn about them. He proudly refers to himself and the other Clockworks as "Sons of Man" because of how crucial Man was in the ascendance of their race.
The Clockworks are the heritors of the legacy of Man, he believes, and that legacy should not be shied away from, as most Beasts would rather do. He does extensive field research to find artifacts of Man, believing that all Beastdom can learn and profit from what only Man could do. The Library accepts his research only on the condition that he can show its historical relevance, so much of what he finds he keeps for himself. Nobody knows where his hidden stash is or what it contains, though his colleagues go as far as to fear Abacus may yet bring great evil from it.

Like all proper Anglorese, he is quite fond of tea and the occasional warm beer. However, he hopes to discover in his lifetime the legendary drink that is said to have fueled much of Man's progress: coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:19 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Biography of Shianu Sabaton, female Caprican druid

HISTORY (From the beginning to the most recent):
While the disciplines of Anglorese druidic training clashed with her natural Caprican free-spiritedness, it was the best way for Shianu to make the most of her natural abilities. The metamorphosis of her fur color from its natural brown to light-green when she became a mystic magic adept confirmed that it was the right path for her. Anxious to become a full-dledged druid and get out into the world as soon as she could, she trained hard and fast, earning her graduation at the age of 19.
Her first mission as a druid ended in tragedy when a storm claimed her boat and the lives of her fellow druids, leaving her stranded in the care of an old Anuran sailor named Bingham Montgomery and his employer, the Sylvan scientist David Kristjen. The first of Shianu's trials began here as "Kritsjen" turned out to be a surviving Man who was trying to figure out how to turn Beasts back into Men so Man could return to Earth. Christian (his name's real spelling) claimed to be doing it to help and coexist with the Beasts rather than destroy them as Man almost did the first time, but his methods could not be condoned. Shianu ultimately slew her captors and destroyed their laboratory, taking with her Christian's revolver, the weapon by which her escape was made possible. To this day she keeps it as an object to meditate on, but lets few others see it.
Shianu tried to recover from the incident by wrapping herself in druidic orthodoxy, and became a mentor for other young druids-in-training. It was during this time that a quest led her to meet her lifelong friends Jakob Axion and Abacus Watchtower. The discoveries they made together (ironically once again involving Man) caused her to rethink and gradually become disillusioned with the Order, and she left it to join Jakob and Abacus in their newfound home, the fighting clan known as The Final Empire.
To her chagrin, though, Shianu found herself unable to fit in with them in this new setting, either. Jakob was gung-ho for the Empire and its goals, while Abacus was still obsessed with his research of Man. Shianu wasn't committed to either of those things. All she did know was that she was given a gift and wanted to use it to help people. After befriending and speaking at length with Raetac Golding, a member of the Heartland Rangers, Shianu wondered if perhaps his life was the one that was meant for her. To find her answers, she petitioned Raetac for a chance to join his group.

PERSONALITY TRAITS: Self-doubt, which leads to polite shyness in most social settings. But can be quite assertive when standing for something or someone else she believes in. You can definitely tell she has had scarring experiences in her past. Picture the character Jane Bennett (from Pride and Prejudice) if her anxiousness to believe in the goodness of people paid off as it did in the book... and then got turne on its head as her husband Bingley turned out to be an evil Satanist. That's how shaken Shianu's core has become due to these rude awakenings in her life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main: Ronath Anuhir - 33
Alt: Annun Lkarna - 14
Alt: Thatus Thorrn - 7
I remember when Jakob went through the cleansing ritual, that was cool. And I really like your backstory for him. :)

And Abacus ... coffee. XD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:25 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Volvox wrote:
I remember when Jakob went through the cleansing ritual, that was cool. And I really like your backstory for him. :)b]XD[/b]

Only hitch that went with that was how my client crashed like right after I finished telling his story. Then I got zapped in the middle of trying to say something so it looked like I talked while dead :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

The fan-canon events surrounding "The Curse of the Forbidden Fire" will probably become part of personal canon for Jakob and Abacus, who are featured on HWTV broadcasts that highlight that event. It will ultimately all depend on what happens when the game comes back; the HWTV events may end up just not being RP-able in consistency with in-game canon. If there is a character wipe, expect a fanfic that kills off the characters that won't be remade.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

I just realized the other day that Jakob, Shianu, and Abacus are very much like the Wu, Shu, and Wei of Three Kingdoms China, which is awesome because ROTK rules and I wasn't trying to plan it that way. Well, technically they're more like the representations of the Three Kingdoms portrayed in the Dynasty Warriors series than either the novelized or the historical triad, but it still works uncannily well. They even have the respective red, green, and blue colors of those Kingdoms. Shianu is the traditionalist like Liu Bei, Abacus is the visionary like Cao Cao, and Jakob is the realist like Sun Quan.
I mention this because this is part of the reason I'm having second thoughts about killing off Jakob when EE returns. He works too well with my other characters. The main motivation for that was always more to have an in-game Knight that wasn't one of the too-commonly-used races and less for RP reasons, and this could still be accomplished without actually taking Jakob out of the RP picture. Now I'm thinking of having Jakob somehow get retired from adventuring in such a way that will let him stay part of the RP scene, albeit less actively than he was when I had him in-game. So he could still deliver his perspective on story events even if I actually use a different character to participate in them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:45 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main: Ronath Anuhir - 33
Alt: Annun Lkarna - 14
Alt: Thatus Thorrn - 7
I'm glad you're reconsidering. I personally like Jakob, and think he's an interesting character.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:05 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Lately it's looking more like HWTV is veering off into a territory where it really couldn't be considered consistent with the EE world as we know it, so I'm thinking that it will actually not end up being considered personal canon for Jakob and Abacus. Even if that's the case, I don't plan on breaking the fourth wall with my HWTV content. The next GMG show is as close as I'll be getting to doing that.

Jakob's non-lethal retirement is going to be a tricky thing to make work, because he is the kind of character who would fight until he dropped no matter what. The problem is to make it plausible that he's around to RP with but not to adventure with, since I won't have him in-game. But if he's around, then whatever's going down is what he'd be in on because that's who he is. So something would have had to happen to him to prevent him from being able to fight, like an illness or permanent injury. The only problem with that is the fact that with healing magic, just about any ailment can be remedied. Right now, I'm seeing three possible options:
1 - Jakob loses both arms and we assume that healing magic cannot restore them. That would enable him to travel to where he's wanted for a social RP but would preclude him from being in any real adventure RP. This path would also entail him finally finding female companionship since he'd need someone to take care of him if that happened. It'd have to be both arms since he'd fight even if he only had one to hold a sword with.
2 - Jakob is somehow either transformed or transferred into an inanimate object that Abacus and/or Shianu can carry around with them, like a figurine or talisman. That way he can be there and offer his perspective but doesn't actually fight or get in the way of those who do. The weakness of this path is that I don't know how compatible it is with EE mythology and it takes away from Jakob's standing in the Jakob/Shianu/Abacus Three-Kingdoms-esque triad, since he's like not a viable person anymore.
3 - Jakob makes the ultimate atonement for the Shroomie incident by becoming and Amanita himself. That'd have him away for most of the time but he could pop back up at times. I think it's a cool idea but don't know how well it'd work, either.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next