Login     Register    
Terra Eternus
For Earth Eternal, and beyond.

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:34 pm
FAQ    Chat      Search     

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: EE Facebook Announcement!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:18 pm 
Survivor

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main: Piggypops
Alt: Matt Daemon
Alt: Exterminator Porkins
Alt: Starslayer
Ember wrote:
Thirdly, TO was, frankly, incredibly stupid. How they thought releasing a game in this state would actually be a good idea, I don't know, but they win the award of the year for Most Asinine Decision Ever. IF EE ever gets re-(re?)released, which is not too likely, it needs massive improvements BEFORE anyone from the public can so much as design a character. It was really the skeleton of a true MMO, and why they didn't work with the devs to fix some of the glaring issues before opening it up, I don't know. It was just idiocy all around.

TurnOut never released Earth Eternal, We kept it in beta for that very reason. It needed massive improvements and bug fixes. It was released in Japan by Sankando, which TurnOut had no input on. Of course, you can probably see what position Sankando was in. They originally made the deal to release Earth Eternal in Japan well before Sparkplay closed doors. Financially, they made a big investment and it took almost a year for that investment to actually become anything.

google adsense
Post details
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:35 pm 
Survivor

Main: Kaiketsu Zorori
It sounds like Earth Eternal was mostly a victim of the economy and Turn-Out's more immediate need to make some money back on more sure-fire methods (like hooking up into the get-rich-quick mobile market, thanks those games making millionaires out of people seemingly at random with significantly less effort and capital). Eventually when they right whatever instability they have in the company, they might get back around to Earth Eternal. I doubt the old Earth Eternal Community will be back. And this might be a good thing for Turn-Out.

We're just a small group of players, and we just miss the perceived potential the game had back when Sparkplay owned it. I don't think Turn-Out ever had a chance of capturing the love of that old audience in any real numbers, but that's just it. This audience never did have any real numbers. Not the numbers Turn-Out was looking for. Seriously, they might as well just start the game all over again, with a new name and theme, and just not tell anyone here that it's going up next time. Save a lot of manpower having to deal with all the disgruntled fans who feel slighted by the changes (or lack thereof), and just start with a fresh audience that has no preconceptions about it. Leave us with our cherished memories, because I don't believe for a moment the current owner of Earth Eternal will ever meet the unrealistic expectations that we've set for it.

It's time to move on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:04 pm 
Survivor

Main: Fang Darksong
Alt: Captain Chaos
Just a quick note on targeting a specific market.

If I had see EE advertise itsself as a furry game when I first found it, I doubt I would've played just because I didn't know what that was or care to look it up. I wouldn't have bothered to try it if I thought it was meant for some group I knew nothing about, and I wouldn't have had friend join either.

That being said, even after I understood the furry concept, I never had a problem with it. All I know is I liked smashing crazy looking things with my big hammer. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 pm 
Survivor

Main: Castleton Nova - 24
Alt: Atraxiad Moryn - 23
Alt: Desyrontoal Ky - 0
Piggypops wrote:
no... having the game connect through "failbook" was not a factor.

Thank you for your clarifications. This quote sure surprised me, but thank you nonetheless. We now have the most clearest of picture as to what actually happened there, and that some of the community's fears weren't that bad afterall.

As for questions, here's one that I think you can answer, given the timeframe (and any statute of limitations): "Did anyone at Sparkplay try to save/preserve the EE game data before the server(s) were handed over to TurnOut?"

Here's a couple that you should be able to answer, because I'm looking for your personal opinion, not an official answer
"Do you think TurnOut/Turner could sell the game given that it failed twice and the two companies that handled it went under?"
and "Did Turner read the Lore's part about the humans and said 'I like it. Buy this game'?"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:52 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

Mood: Amazed

Blog: View Blog (5)
Main: Sejenus Caine
Alt: Slasher Caine
Alt: Leena Caine
Alt: Scheena Caine
Casanova wrote:
Piggypops wrote:
no... having the game connect through "failbook" was not a factor.

Thank you for your clarifications. This quote sure surprised me, but thank you nonetheless. We now have the most clearest of picture as to what actually happened there, and that some of the community's fears weren't that bad afterall.

As for questions, here's one that I think you can answer, given the timeframe (and any statute of limitations): "Did anyone at Sparkplay try to save/preserve the EE game data before the server(s) were handed over to TurnOut?"

Here's a couple that you should be able to answer, because I'm looking for your personal opinion, not an official answer
"Do you think TurnOut/Turner could sell the game given that it failed twice and the two companies that handled it went under?"
and "Did Turner read the Lore's part about the humans and said 'I like it. Buy this game'?"

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right... but didnt PiggyPops post a message, during the downtime between SparkPlay and TurnOut, saying somthing like:..

"Your data is safe, and I'm playing a standalone version on my PC right now!"

Edit:
Got it!
A topic dated Wed Dec 8th 2010
"Updated Holiday Message from Piggypops" (last post was Dec 24th 2010)
Piggypops wrote:
To answer some questions:

-I'm not a part of the marketing/community team, so no I can't give you any official information.
-A few other Sparkplay employees are with me.
-Chances are you are not going to hear much before the new year.
-I'm playing Earth Eternal, right now, at this very second, on my computer at home. It's awesome.
-Tik Tok is the anthem of my generation.

Link to origional topic..
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665

1. Lawnmower blades rotate at a VERY high speed.
2. Loose stones and lawnmower blades rotating at very high speeds do not make good companions.
3. Given the right circumstances anything can fly.
4. The window panes in conservatory doors are made of glass.
5. Glass breaks."

Terranova wrote:
Get on my level.

GET ON IT, SON.

Then we can be happy and find something else to argue about.

"ALL HAIL GRETHNEFAR! RE-BUILDER OF WORLDS!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:33 pm 
Survivor

Mood: Bored

Main: Akinokaze
I also remember a post by Matt to the effect of saying that they would be idiots to not use the character data when relaunching, clearly they were idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

Casanova wrote:

More likely they read the Lore and said "WTF? Meh! Let's buy it anyway... It's cheap and we could always strip it down and use it as a template for our work."

2. Loose stones and lawnmower blades rotating at very high speeds do not make good companions.
5. Glass breaks."

Terranova wrote:
Get on my level.

GET ON IT, SON.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 pm 
Survivor

Main: Piggypops
Alt: Matt Daemon
Alt: Exterminator Porkins
Alt: Starslayer
Akinokaze Haruichiban wrote:
I also remember a post by Matt to the effect of saying that they would be idiots to not use the character data when relaunching, clearly they were idiots.

There are a lot of reasons we couldn't use that data. For one, we didn't actually have ALL the data. We had character info for sure, but not login info like email addresses, usernames, passwords, etc. So that in and of itself is a pretty major challenge.

Next, the technical hurdles were fairly challenging. We did a lot of backend changes and changes to the server configuration. It would be a massive amount of work to transfer the old data over.

Probably the biggest reasons have to do simply with business. Allowing players access to the content that they paid for from Sparkplay puts a legal obligation on Turner to honor the sales made from Sparkplay. Lawyers flipped out at this idea.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:14 pm 
Beast Survivor

Blog: View Blog (9)
Main: Blue Sly
Piggypops wrote:

There are a lot of reasons we couldn't use that data. For one, we didn't actually have ALL the data. We had character info for sure, but not login info like email addresses, usernames, passwords, etc. So that in and of itself is a pretty major challenge.

Next, the technical hurdles were fairly challenging. We did a lot of backend changes and changes to the server configuration. It would be a massive amount of work to transfer the old data over.

Probably the biggest reasons have to do simply with business. Allowing players access to the content that they paid for from Sparkplay puts a legal obligation on Turner to honor the sales made from Sparkplay. Lawyers flipped out at this idea.

Well doesn't this make me hate the government more and more now...

*You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something - Eminem. *"Grudges are something that can fill your life with unhappiness." *"The power it holds can bring forth either salvation, or destruction, at the whim of the user." - Aura *"I'm awake I'm alive. Now I know what I believe inside. Now it's my time. I'll do what I want 'cause this is my life. right here, right now. I'll stand my ground and never back down. I know what I believe inside. I'm awake and I'm alive." - Skillet *With the moonlight to guide you feel the joy of being alive. The day that you stop running is the day that you arrive. And the night that you got locked in was the time to decide. Stop chasing shadows just enjoy the ride. - Morcheeba

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:16 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

Piggypops wrote:

So you couldn't just "withdraw all sparkplay sales items from sale" and "declare all pending sparkplay sales null and void"?
Weren't there any "tags" on any items stating how they were obtained?
Hmmm! I guess all the give away stuff in the last few days of old EE must have "not helped" with any ideas like that..

5. Glass breaks."

Terranova wrote:
Get on my level.

GET ON IT, SON.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next