Login     Register    
Terra Eternus
For Earth Eternal, and beyond.

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:27 pm
FAQ    Chat      Search     

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Creature Feeps! Piggypops Announces Plans for Sidekicks.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 pm 
Talkative Survivor

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main: Yon Fildibeck
Alt: Grande Gear
Alt: Aaron Blackfox
Alt: Tonytony Chopper
From this post:

Piggypops wrote:
Also yes, I'm still alive. Just got back from a bit of a trip down to Southern California to visit my sister and niece and nephew. While I was on the plane I wrote design docs for a really cool new feature that I think you'll like. It's called "Sidekicks".

Although in the planning stages only from what it sounds like, this is the first semi-official announcement of the sort of new features that EE may see soon. Sidekicks sounds like a fusion of pets to the concept of hirelings to me, though I'm only guessing here. Perhaps some sidekicks will be 'hirelings' with weekly credit fees whereas 'pets' are bought once and retained?

I see a lot more gold sink potential in bipedal sidekicks immediately:

Foisting off your spare equipment (especially if they can bypass binding) on your bipedal sidekicks sounds like a nice way to encourage even more item collecting, as would paying for training on them. It's especially clever when you realize you'll have another character you have to worry over paper-dolling fashion on to. Read, more fashion items sold from the credit shop. Then consider you could equip them with dragonscale bags to increase you inventory more, add charms to them to make them more powerful... VERY clever.

I can imagine the delights of having a sidekick mage if you're a knight, maybe 'programmed' with a cycle of attacks and healing tendril upon you as you do your fighting. Now you have a real reason for the hate harvesting skills! Or get a knight sidekick you can guide that automatically charges in and whips up on monsters while you hang back and blast them with salvos, ending your constant problem of having your tail handed to you everytime you aggro more than one monster.

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Feature Creep: Piggypops Announces Plans for Sidekicks.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Mood: Bored

Blog: View Blog (3)
Main: Jakob Axion
Alt: Shianu Sabaton
Alt: Abacus Watchtower
Just one word. Nice. Time to unleash the stampede of wild speculation.

Sidekicks, eh? I remember PP mentioning somewhere before that he really liked in-game pets, and I imagine this would be something similar, though the word implies they'd be NPC Beasts rather than animals. Perhaps they'll have their own personalities and drop liners during combat. That would be cool... until the lines got old. And no way are they going to let them serve as "mounts." Wait a minute: if mounts aren't in because they make lag, wouldn't pets/sidekicks cause the same problem?
It sounds like he's borrowing from the Bioware model for henchmen as used in Neverwinter Nights 1 and The Old Republic. But I doubt that the sidekicks would have their own questlines like the Bioware henchmen do. Hopefully they will have some of the same customization options like abilities and equipment.
This isn't anything I recall any of us asking for in these discussion threads, but I hope that means they've done research that says it's a feature that will attract new players. And it should do so without taking away anything that the rest of us liked about the game (like the lore or the furry interest). I project that it will definitely make the game more solo-friendly... but then EE was already the most solo-friendly MMO I've ever played (not counting Skyrates and others that are technically gameplay-wise purely solo), so I don't see that advantage having much staying power unless they also make the game harder.

Post subject: Re: Feature Creeps! Piggypops Announces Plans for Sidekicks.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:18 pm 
Lifeboat Rower

Main: Cross Marian
i guess this could be the pet system they were talkiing about , unless its a completely different system, what comes to mind as to how this might go is maybe you have the ability to tame a certain monster and let it be your sidekick and you can call it out in battle? maybe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:41 pm 
Survivor

Main: Jarlath Haydn
Alt: Vangar Aonsuil
Alt: Isa Darkeye
Alt: Murdock Cross
By my reckonin', these "sidekicks" are just another name for pets. Might be to make it sound different from typical pets in MMOs, or to remove the possible notion of slavery if TurnOut choose an animal based style for said sidekicks. Not fussed either way.

If Yon is on the money on this, I'd like to know how TurnOut could differentiate sidekicks from Druid summonable creatures, if Druids ever get the ability to summon stuff. Having 2-3 minions running around with one character could aggro the Lag monster. You never know though, could see some interesting "zerg" tactics from Druids in PvP if both sidekicks and summons can attack targets.

Cross wrote:
i guess this could be the pet system they were talkiing about , unless its a completely different system, what comes to mind as to how this might go is maybe you have the ability to tame a certain monster and let it be your sidekick and you can call it out in battle? maybe

Taming monsters would be cool (finally get a rumble bear to roll out beside me :mrgreen: ) but it would need to limited to a large amount of 'certain monsters', otherwise everyone would be running around with the same ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm 
Puddi

Mood: Alive

Main: Wake Duskleaf (Druid)
Alt: Razek Velvetvoid (Rogue)
Alt: Cyan Arctek (Knight)
Alt: Adrian Tenek (Mage)
If it is a pet system, I really hope we gonna get a big pile of pet types to choose from, and that it will not be forced upon the players to be succesful in combat and such.

Honsetly I do not scream "HOORAY" until I get the full list of "new things" planed.
I missed that Livestream of Piggy cuz of damn timezones and no hints. I did not saw myself how much had been twaked with the ground and environment.

I'm really afraid they will make this version even more "cuddle friendly" than the SPM version, after reading all that silly silly derp derp Sankandos GMs posted...

Last edited by Duskleaf on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm 
Talkative Survivor

blank452 wrote:
By my reckonin', these "sidekicks" are just another name for pets. Might be to make it sound different from typical pets in MMOs, or to remove the possible notion of slavery if TurnOut choose an animal based style for said sidekicks. Not fussed either way.

If Yon is on the money on this, I'd like to know how TurnOut could differentiate sidekicks from Druid summonable creatures, if Druids ever get the ability to summon stuff. Having 2-3 minions running around with one character could aggro the Lag monster. You never know though, could see some interesting "zerg" tactics from Druids in PvP if both sidekicks and summons can attack targets.

Cross wrote:

Taming monsters would be cool (finally get a rumble bear to roll out beside me :mrgreen: ) but it would need to limited to a large amount of 'certain monsters', otherwise everyone would be running around with the same ones.

I think there's larger fistfuls of credits to be made outfitting another 'player-like' creature than a pet, personally. In Torchlight, Pets have interesting options to be fed 'fish' to turn temporarily into other mobs with similar higher fighting potential, and they can wear rings and amulets, but that's it. Certainly, I think pets would be pretty popular, but I also think having hirelings would garner even more customization options.

Duskleaf wrote:
I'm really afraid they will make this version even more "cuddle friendly" than the SPM version, after reading all that silly silly derp derp Sankandos GMs posted...

Aw! I want a cuddly SPIBEAR pet! Or a knee-high Chomper. Or a tiny Grimfrost! I don't see what's so wrong with cuddly pets, so long as they're properly creepy (feature creepy)!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:48 pm 
Lifeboat Rower

Mood: Angry

Blog: View Blog (1)
Main: R.I.P.
If I got a pet the lag monster would eat me :s

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:56 pm 
Talkative Survivor

M-Wolf wrote:
If I got a pet the lag monster would eat me :s

Lag monster pets.

Problem solved forever. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

Mood: Amazed

Blog: View Blog (5)
Main: Sejenus Caine
Alt: Slasher Caine
Alt: Leena Caine
Alt: Scheena Caine
I play Guild Wars when I'm not waiting for EE..
This "sidekick" thing sounds like the pet/henchman/hero systems from Guild Wars, perhaps EE will do somthing similar?...

The following are from Guild Wars...

1 Pet - You could tame a wild animal (like a wolf, big cat, bear, scary a** black ostrich of doom (aka- "black moa")) and order them to attack in a certain style.
["black moa!","I choose you!","Squark!"]
["black moa" used "extract eyeball","attack was successful"!] GW players may get that...

2 Hero - You could (after a side quest or two) recruit some "helpful" npcs who "in theory" were "almost" as able as you
[Kost used "charge headlong into danger!" - WTF?]
[Vekk used "set off every trap here" - WHAT?]
[Gwen used "trigger every mob" - Nooo!]
[Olias used "ignore the mobs till it's too late" - Gahh!]

3 Henchmen - You could recruit some henchmen from an outpost for a short time (you could only use them BETWEEN outposts) their level is preset based on which part of the map you were, but at least if they died, your necromancer hero could "play" with them! (exploding bodies anyone? No.. really!)

Sigh! Fun times!

1. Lawnmower blades rotate at a VERY high speed.
2. Loose stones and lawnmower blades rotating at very high speeds do not make good companions.
3. Given the right circumstances anything can fly.
4. The window panes in conservatory doors are made of glass.
5. Glass breaks."

Terranova wrote:
Get on my level.

GET ON IT, SON.

Then we can be happy and find something else to argue about.

"ALL HAIL GRETHNEFAR! RE-BUILDER OF WORLDS!"

Last edited by Sejen on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Mood: Bored

Blog: View Blog (3)
Main: Jakob Axion
Alt: Shianu Sabaton
Alt: Abacus Watchtower
Duskleaf wrote:

I gather that by "cuddle-friendly" you mean encouraging socializing and furry interest?
Based on what we've seen and heard from PP, I get the opposite impression. Almost everything he's talked about working on has to do with gameplay features and not with the game aesthetic. And the few aesthetic things he has mentioned (specifically, adding non-anthromal races) tend to move away from cuddle-friendly too. PP (and by extension EEL) seem more focused on making EE a good game first. But this could go different ways between the two different publishers, since Sankando can and will make its own aesthetic tweaks, and each region's community management will have its own idea on how much "cuddling" should be encouraged.

Or did you mean something else by "cuddle-friendly" like perhaps making it really easy and newb-friendly?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next