Login     Register    
Terra Eternus
For Earth Eternal, and beyond.

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm
FAQ    Chat      Search     

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Content
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 pm 
Lighthouse Lightkeeper

Mood: Amused

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main: Nex Addo
Alt: Fox Firestrike
Alt: Nex Ferito
Alt: Nex Militis
Terranova wrote:
Okay, then, why do English translated versions of Korean games never start at the amount of content Korean games have then?

Because some games have multiple developers for the same game, they just handle different regions. The games share the same theme, but can have different content depending on the needs of that region's players. For instance, a North American developer of game X will make a game more pvp-centered, while a Korean developer of game X will make the game more grind-heavy. Traditionally, NA players are more focused on PvP than other regions, so a developer handing a game for that region will make it their primary focus even though they are all working on the same game.

Let's take the game Ragnarok Online for example. Gravity Co both develops and publishes the game. Although they are based in Korea, they have branches located throughout the world. Because each branch is part of Gravity (the developer) they can freely make changes to the version they are handling. All the games will be roughly the same, but are allowed to have different content at different times because it's the same parent company.

google adsense
Post details
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:28 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

Main: Jovan Tharis (Knight, Fangren)
Alt: Alatar Tharkun (Mage, Atavian)
Alt: Dax Orillion (Rogue, Foxen)
Alt: Kinto Tezera (Druid, Lisian)
Likely a translation issue, or a business issue.

Probably due to one or two things. It could be lag time in translating everything into English. For example say it's at Version "3" in Korea and at that point a deal is made to release a translated version overseas. Due to the complexties of translating an MMO it takes a few months to translate everything in that version. However by the time that's completed three more content updates are added in Korea. The project continues to try to catch up and is always somewhat behind leading to them either releasing it in a "finished-state" to start recieving proper income while later parts are translated and added on, or they wait until the game slows down in updates, usually once it loses steam in it's original home country. Or there might bugs in the original that need fine tuning during the conversion process.

This is somewhat similar to Ikimonogatari's extra few months before getting released elsewhere, though it has the advantage of having the original game "stop production" and some of the original developers to help move things along at a more timely rate.

Another reason for Korean MMOs taking longer might indeed be lack of popularity and thus little funded in the project and thus taking longer to be rendered into a legible state. On another business note, as alot of Korean MMOs depend on micro-transactions, it might be a business model, to extend release time to gain more cash on a equitable level or to tailor these items, or other aspects of the game for that matter, to the international audience through extended research.

In any case, comparing typical "English" Korean MMOs to Ikimonogatari is like comparing "Apples and Oranges". Most of the former don't have the original development team or company to work with and are translating another company's work, which means they must relearn the inner workings of the game from the ground up in order to get it to run in any sensible fashion and recieve income at the same time.

Ikimonogatari on the other hand is being worked on by the development team/company (Turnout) for both the Japanese and "future" International releases, with some extra Japanese involvement (Sankando) in terms of translation, marketing, and presentation for the Japanese specific version. In short, everything is still being "made in English," by mostly English developers, it just gets translated into Japanese before being introduced to into the currently "running" game. As a result, other than some fine tuning, and likely some consideration in terms of marketing and presentation for the International version, everything should be the same on start-up, with both versions being on a fairly even keel "update wise."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 pm 
Just like Terra

Mood: Bored

Blog: View Blog (19)
Main: R
Alt: W
Alt: B
Alt: Y
Ah, but considering that the English version is most likely a different region then the Japanese version, wouldn't that same logic allow us different content?

(My first argument is being completely overlooked so I submit to the fact no one understands me)

After all, you could technically say Iki has already made it's own content because it's highly doubtful English audiences will like the character models currently in the game, judging off this forum.

And Talor seems to nail everything down once again. I think.

I chewed my first pack of gum on 1/21/2011 at 5:00PM. Yeah, you didn't need to know, but you do now.

I am the one and only legal spambot on this site, though it's too bad that the glory days of spam posting are dead and gone now.

For the love of god if you want to add me on
Discord, at the very least send me a message on THIS site that tells me who you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:41 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

Main: Hippy Treehugger
Alt: Hispanic Metalhead
Alt: Damion Black
Alt: Insanity Forsaken
when it comes out it comes out. no point in arguing on content. the real question, will mounts will mounts share the speed bug u cast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:44 pm 
Just like Terra

I hope you realize my argument was convincing enough to branch off and create an entirely different topic.

So my argument is successful.

I'm pretty much done here until I can find some other material to argue with.

I chewed my first pack of gum on 1/21/2011 at 5:00PM. Yeah, you didn't need to know, but you do now.

I am the one and only legal spambot on this site, though it's too bad that the glory days of spam posting are dead and gone now.

Discord, at the very least send me a message on THIS site that tells me who you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:46 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

terra your work is never done because there are still people here that will argue with you. i just ended it because i board of baiting your trollyness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:50 pm 
Just like Terra

You type that as if I care that I'll never finish my work.

When you love to do something, you do it, and I love to argue.

I don't give a crap if it's you, Nex, Jackuul, that hobo down the street, I'm gonna argue with you.

"When it comes it comes" Is a pretty weak way to 'end' an argument.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

like i care, i got my laugh outa it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:00 pm 
Survivor

Main: Piggypops
Alt: Matt Daemon
Alt: Exterminator Porkins
Alt: Starslayer
Talor wrote:
In any case, comparing typical "English" Korean MMOs to Ikimonogatari is like comparing "Apples and Oranges". Most of the former don't have the original development team or company to work with and are translating another company's work, which means they must relearn the inner workings of the game from the ground up in order to get it to run in any sensible fashion and recieve income at the same time.

Ikimonogatari on the other hand is being worked on by the development team/company (Turnout) for both the Japanese and "future" International releases, with some extra Japanese involvement (Sankando) in terms of translation, marketing, and presentation for the Japanese specific version. In short, everything is still being "made in English," by mostly English developers, it just gets translated into Japanese before being introduced to into the currently "running" game. As a result, other than some fine tuning, and likely some consideration in terms of marketing and presentation for the International version, everything should be the same on start-up, with both versions being on a fairly even keel "update wise."

^^ basically what Talor said.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2