Login     Register    
Terra Eternus
For Earth Eternal, and beyond.

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:22 pm
FAQ    Chat      Search     

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Host your own personal server!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:57 pm 
Survivor

Mood: Amused

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main: Tremblewith
Karakasa wrote:
I think I'm doing something wrong but, even after looking through forum posts and the documentation in the download I'm still not sure what. The only version I can use is the 8.8 SPM launcher. I get to the login screen fine. But when I log in I get a message that says "the server has disconnected." I currently can't get any further than the login screen.

Despite the problem I'm having I still would like to say thanks for putting this up. I started playing EE just shortly before Sparkplay closed down and I'd been waiting for it's return since then so it's nice to see this project come along.

Make sure you have the server emulator software running at the same time as your attempting to log in. The first part of my video is almost done processing on Youtube, and it shows how I get it to work a bit, so that might help ya. :)

Edit: Video is here for part 1 (total of 3 parts will be uploaded):
[Earth Eternal] - Testing Server & Client (Pt. 1) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMyFN3Yacc

Planet Forever
Perfect World International
Torchlight II

My Youtube w/ gameplay videos: http://www.youtube.com/thecryotonic
My website: http://www.gdevtalk.net

Last edited by tremblewithfear6 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

google adsense
Post details
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:17 pm 
Lifeboat Rower

Main: Eld Khran
tremblewithfear6 wrote:
Should also note that while I do note some bugs in the video, a big one I found was NPCs (or I believe they were NPCs), attacked me thinking I was a mob. I assume so, anyways. ;)

Quest givers and merchant types are automatically set to friendly, hence they show as green. Town guards (and maybe some others) usually don't have those details in their creature definitions, so they're classified as hostile targets. If they have an AI script, they will attack, but most of them don't. Because they're flagged as enemies, you can attack them, and your sidekicks will auto target them. Sometimes it's amusing to watch, but that definitely needs to be fixed.

Karakasa wrote:
The only version I can use is the 8.8 SPM launcher. I get to the login screen fine. But when I log in I get a message that says "the server has disconnected." I currently can't get any further than the login screen.

Open ServerConfig.txt and look for the line that says ProtocolVersion. It's probably set to 38. For version 0.8.8 to run, it needs to be 37.

Also remember to back up EarthEternal.archive if you haven't already. Sparkplay versions (0.8.8 and lower) cannot be launched with Sankando's assets, which may destroy your existing archive. Use "Launch SPM Localhost.bat" to start the client. Hopefully you'll have enough assets to run the client without getting 404 errors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:20 pm 
Survivor

Thanks for the quick reply Greth. Dunno if the videos I made will help ya, but I posted the first video up w/ the link in the post above yours. :P

^^

Planet Forever
Torchlight II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:21 pm 
Lifeboat Rower

Watched the video. Heh, nobody can pronounce my name.

When you launched the server program, I saw it wasn't able to start the HTTP server on port 80. That's only a problem if you want to run the localhost webserver. Skype has a tendency to reserve port 80 for itself, but it has an option to change that.

EE always had long loading screens, but one reason it's slow is because the client tries to verify every asset in the game (every terrain tile, every creature model, every item model) by sending a request the webserver. It's not very efficient, but that's how it was made.

When you're targeting Sankando's webserver in Japan, both the physical distance and server time causes higher ping times overall, so it takes longer to load everything.

Loading screens are frequent, even on localhost. Especially if you boost your speed, since the client will struggle to load everything in time. Many of these loading screens can't be avoided, but thankfully they're usually short.

There isn't a no clip cheat, but you can use the directional warp commands. Also if your speed is high enough, you can scale almost every cliff. There's no fall damage either, so don't worry about jumping. It's a fun way to get around at high speed.

Mobs not dying is an odd glitch. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but I think it has something to do with the classic patch. I also noticed another glitch in your video (which happened to me once) that your health bar disappears. I think that's a related issue.

I've been working on some compatibility fixes. I'll try to have an update out later tonight or tomorrow. It fixes a few glitches like character selection, quest accepting, and stops some of the annoying error messages.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 pm 
Survivor

Main: Noemi Flokor
Grethnefar wrote:
Open ServerConfig.txt and look for the line that says ProtocolVersion. It's probably set to 38. For version 0.8.8 to run, it needs to be 37.

Awesome!
Setting it to 37 did the trick. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:21 pm 
Survivor

Awesome, thanks for the reply! I'm working on getting the 2nd and 3rd part of the video up tonight. Just got back from work. :P Glad to hear your already on the ball w/ fixing some of that stuff. XD your awesome!

Planet Forever
Torchlight II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 pm 
Lifeboat Captain

Main: Hippy Treehugger
Alt: Hispanic Metalhead
Alt: Damion Black
Alt: Insanity Forsaken
:happydance: <-happy dance, this all so means i have a renewed drive to learn game programming, how ever i need books on C++ because at the moment i don't know diddly about anything about programing.

this all so means i need to do a greater push on getting full time or a getting a raise at work so i can afford to build a server for a lan server for me a my fwiends.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm 
Survivor

Finished the YouTube videos!
[Earth Eternal] - Testing Server & Client (Pt. 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuVPbFF7_xA
[Earth Eternal] - Testing Server & Client (Pt. 3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=janXvoKJPvU

Also, sounds great Hippy. :)

Planet Forever
Torchlight II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:06 am 
Lifeboat Rower

Some comments about the other two videos:
The first zones in EER were Bastion, Corsica, and Earthrise. I haven't worked on the data for those regions yet.

The original Sparkplay versions had you start in Mushroom Isle, but was later replaced with Bastion. Veteran players enjoy the nostalgia, in part because it was the location of the final farewell party. It was chosen for the character museum (all those characters that were slowly loading), which is a tribute to the players of the old days.

Underhenge is a dungeon, so the mobs are all hostile. Burning Chasm doesn't have any creatures. I'd like to see what's supposed to be there, but I don't have that data.

Anyway, here's a server update. Updates may be slow from here on, as I'll be working on new stuff instead of simple compatibility fixes. There are many features that need to be restored, as well as quests and dungeons for the remainder of Anglorum, and eventually Europe.

The opening post has been updated with the new download links:
Download from Mediafire
Download from MegaUpload

Version 0.8.9 compatibility fixes:
- Damage information is properly sent.
- Experience gain messages are now working.
- Fixed character selection when logging in.
- Quests can now be accepted.
- Quest objective text is properly updated as you play through.
- Suppressed error messages of some annoying queries.
- Re-specialization now works to reset abilities.
- Fewer quest objects (like flowers) will show on the minimap.

General Changes:
- Most townsfolk should now be friendly and unattackable by you or sidekicks. They'll also have green names instead of yellow.
- Hostile mobs should all have red names.
- Quest progress is now saved between server sessions.
- Mob combat movement and response times have been slightly improved.
- Mob spawns have been activated for Anglorum's snow region, as well as some random overworld bosses elsewhere.

After extracting the ZIP file, if you have made any server configuration or character changes, you'll need to reapply them.

Since quests are now playable in 0.8.9, a reminder that some quests in Bath cannot be completed as I haven't implemented anything beyond that point. Any town that is not Fort Stonehenge, Avalon, or Bath does not have functional quests. The surrounding areas may have unfinished mobs or quest objects. I'll be fixing those areas in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:17 am 
Survivor

You go man!! Your quick on the ball with updates. Thanks for letting me know about some of that, I was pretty confused. I think the area I was talking about would have been called Bastion (I assume so) XD.

Edit: After updating, seems most of your fixes are working great. Tested a kill-mob quest, and was able to acquire, find the mob, kill it, and turn it all in successfully. The character selection screen works better now as well. The only two bugs I found that exist as far as I know are the mobs not dissapearing after being killed and the character health/stats bar dissapearing when I press my escape key on the keyboard. I think a possible work around for the character health/status bar could be to make it hot-keyable, or somethin'. It seems to only dissapear when I press escape, and since there is no hotkey to get it back, I just live with it XD.

Planet Forever
Torchlight II

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next