Login     Register    
Terra Eternus
For Earth Eternal, and beyond.

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:35 pm
FAQ    Chat      Search     

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Update on EE
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main: Jack Caesar
Alt: Vulnavia Bluefang
Alt: Inspector Gadget
Alt: Claudius Caesar
I'd like to welcome any and all former Sparkplay Media Employees to EEF. If you would like, I can make a user group and add you three, along with any others, to denote who you are to those who may not know.

google adsense
Post details
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:40 pm 
Survivor

Mood: Amazed

Blog: View Blog (1)
Main: Gnawtooth Strongpaw - LVL 27
Alt: Rivers Slypaw - LVL 53
Alt: Frang Irontusk - LVL 29
Alt: Tony Macwolfe - LVL 15
Danny ~Mexi Wolf~ wrote:
It can be called an anthropomorphic animal game perhaps, but not furry.

Is there a difference? I use the term 'furry' loosly for short.

I've been in Furry Fandom since the early 80s. Back then a lot of it was Disney, Anime, and other mainstreem animation and comics

Just cause I called it a furry game, don't mean it's a 'sex' game. I could care less about the fantasy sex, and more about having a muzzle, pointy ears and a tail.. oh and the tail in the right place *ahem, they are too high last character design* !

Anyhow, i didn't mean to start a flame war about what it's targent audience or theme was. It's Anthropomorphic Animal = Furry for short. Oh and it is also Anthropomorphic Toasters = Clockworks :)

Wuff...
Furry from the old days when it WAS about the animation and art.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:33 pm 
Former Earth Sage

Mood: Alive

Main: Danny Dumal
Alt: Talvien Dumal
Alt: Prince Delicious
Alt: Submissive Wolf
Wuffie wrote:
Danny ~Mexi Wolf~ wrote:
It can be called an anthropomorphic animal game perhaps, but not furry.

Is there a difference? I use the term 'furry' loosly for short.

I've been in Furry Fandom since the early 80s. Back then a lot of it was Disney, Anime, and other mainstreem animation and comics

Just cause I called it a furry game, don't mean it's a 'sex' game. I could care less about the fantasy sex, and more about having a muzzle, pointy ears and a tail.. oh and the tail in the right place *ahem, they are too high last character design* !

Anyhow, i didn't mean to start a flame war about what it's targent audience or theme was. It's Anthropomorphic Animal = Furry for short. Oh and it is also Anthropomorphic Toasters = Clockworks :)

Wuff...
Furry from the old days when it WAS about the animation and art.

Of course I get the meaning, however, that's not what mainstream or general populous see it as sadly. I wasn't implying at all that you were calling it that just for that name. However it's what a lot would see it as due to the stigma sadly attributed by the name. Sure we each have our individual names for things but it can't be classified for such. Calling it a furry game is no problem because that's your view of it and everyone is entitled to their view on things, but classifying it as such would be incorrect in my view.

As for the difference in Furry VS Anthropomorphic Term usage, to us who are furs, no there isn't because anthro animals is what we are centered around fully. However there is a big difference to your general gamer/MMOer.

As for a flame war I don't see any at all, just a disagreement and thus a small debate.

To switch the topic though I don't think any new updates have been released as of yet.

Nex « Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm » Does anyone else feel poor when they eat cereal for dinner?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 pm 
Rescue Shipmate

Mood: Amused

Main: Brigantine Jack
Alt: Yensid Corsaro
Alt: Some dude in an office
Meh, it's a Funny Animal game. With goblins, golems, imps, and cyclopes for good measure.
Yeah, same damn thing, but since everybody's got a hair in uncomfortable places over semantics, I thought I'd throw another term at you.

See, there is little in the game that couldn't have been done with more 'traditional' fantasy races - the Lore could have been be tweaked to run this with elves, dwarves, xvarts, undines, kobolds, brownies, goblins, pixies, gnomes, trolls, satyrs, boggans, fomor... you get the idea. It would still be a somewhat unique setting (Old Races returning after the fall of Man.) - but not anywhere near the departure present by going (almost) entirely with the Funny Animals. It'd still play well without the extreme shedding issues, but it wouldn't have been as cool. 'No Elves' was what brought me to the party. Pointy-eared bastards.

And to get back on topic, the game is still down.

What'll ya have?
BAR FIGHT!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:10 am 
Former Earth Sage

Mood: Alive

Main: Danny Dumal
Alt: Talvien Dumal
Alt: Prince Delicious
Alt: Submissive Wolf
Joe the Rat wrote:

'No Elves' was what brought me to the party. Pointy-eared bastards.

xD You'll make Legolas cry!

Nex « Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm » Does anyone else feel poor when they eat cereal for dinner?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:15 am 
Beast Survivor

Mood: Angelic

Blog: View Blog (3)
Main: Chaos Ronin
Alt: SparX Prodigy
Danny ~Mexi Wolf~ wrote:
Joe the Rat wrote:

'No Elves' was what brought me to the party. Pointy-eared bastards.

xD You'll make Legolas cry!

They challenge you all to a Dance off matey! Get ready to walk the plank! (It's officially talk like a pirate day!)

Seriously, in some ways I'm tired of an "Update on EE". Perhaps we should take more time to reflect on an "Update on the EE Forever Community" because in many ways I think that's more important. I think the forecast on that shows its still very much vibrant, active, 'alive and kicking' . . . and with a 20% chance of clouds. I want to take a moment NOT to thank Matt, Piggypops or John Yoo but to all of you in this community for welcoming me in, making me laugh, showing support and encouragement, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:41 am 
Lighthouse Lightkeeper

Mood: Amused

Main: Nex Addo
Alt: Fox Firestrike
Alt: Nex Ferito
Alt: Nex Militis
Danny ~Mexi Wolf~ wrote:
Of course I get the meaning, however, that's not what mainstream or general populous see it as sadly. I wasn't implying at all that you were calling it that just for that name. However it's what a lot would see it as due to the stigma sadly attributed by the name. Sure we each have our individual names for things but it can't be classified for such. Calling it a furry game is no problem because that's your view of it and everyone is entitled to their view on things, but classifying it as such would be incorrect in my view.

As for the difference in Furry VS Anthropomorphic Term usage, to us who are furs, no there isn't because anthro animals is what we are centered around fully. However there is a big difference to your general gamer/MMOer.

As for a flame war I don't see any at all, just a disagreement and thus a small debate.

To switch the topic though I don't think any new updates have been released as of yet.

Deviating from the thread topic, remember that any object can have anthropomorphic qualities. I tend to treat both the person and the object with separate terms to avoid confusion. Bugs Bunny is an anthropomorphic rabbit, but liking him doesn't make one a "furry." Because of that, I define a furry to be a person who holds an overall "passion" for anthropomorphic animals, but not the anthro animals themselves. There's a difference between liking something, and "liking" something.

I agree you can't classify EE as a "furry" game. It's simply a game featuring a certain type of character (which just so happens to be an anthropomorphic animal). I don't look at the Transformers game and assume it was only designed for people who hold a passion for anthropomorphic vehicles. Same thing applies to any game.

Although I am extremely interested in learning about others, and what all of you define what "furry" is...I think something like this should be in a new topic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:22 am 
Survivor

Mood: Bored

Main: Akinokaze
From the Furry Photos thread:

Akinokaze Haruichiban wrote:
Sarabi wrote:
WandererSheridan wrote:
Anyway, I've always preferred the tern 'anthro' over 'furry'. Is there any difference?

Anthro is much less limited. Transformers, the characters of Cars, the Brave Little Toaster and more are all anthro but wouldn't be Furry.

Anthropomorphism is about the attribution for human traits and/or abilities to the none human [such as the Grim Reaper is the Anthropomorphic personification of the natural force that is Death.]

Furry is specifically about the Anthropomorphism of Animals.

Also, for me, the only thing that makes you a "Furry" is being a fan of animal anthropomorphism and a willingness to be called one.

Just because you like it doesn't mean you are it, just like not everyone who likes startrek is a "trekkie" [I'm not, but then I only like 2/5 of the series (DS9 and Voyager.)]

Also everything that humanity has ever touched has an "adult" side but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the interest itself at all [I'd go on but unsure of the age and rule rating of this fansite. Simply put, people can be and often are a part of many groups at once combining them in some way or other doesn't make them the same group.]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:33 am 
Survivor

Main: Behemoth Terra
Alt: Terrorofdeath Skeith
Akinokaze Haruichiban wrote:
Also, for me, the only thing that makes you a "Furry" is being a fan of animal anthropomorphism and a willingness to be called one.

I don't think it could be said any better. Well put.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am 
Beast Survivor

Mood: Asleep

Blog: View Blog (3)
Main: Ragoh "The Regal Beagle" Whiteclaw
Alt: Castor "Where's Me Drink?" Dioscuri
Alt: Pollux "Maderine Rue" Dioscuri
Alt: SUUUUUUGGA BEEEAAARRRRR!!!!
Y'know, there's a thread in the chat forum which attempts to define furries. I think it's time to get back on the topic of what's going on with EE.

...which, by the way, is still down.

"O, the ale! Pisswater, every drop! For surely the elixer I hath consumed upon mine recent trip through the bowels of Erebus shall put to a quick end, those of a lesser constitution!" ~My toast to Everclear
"mew..." ~Sly K

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next