Login     Register    
Terra Eternus
For Earth Eternal, and beyond.

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:32 am
FAQ    Chat      Search     

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: A New Community Manager
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:36 am 
Lifeboat Rower

Mood: Asleep

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main: Bleeding Bow
Alt: Mystic Tree
Who will be the new community manager?

Since piggypops is listed as lead designer and is obviously not CM anymore.

don't know if they'd pick from us... but you think anyone here on EEF would be good?

I have my own opinions, but I just wanted to open up some discussion...

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: A New Community Manager
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:04 am 
Just like Terra

Mood: Bored

Blog: View Blog (19)
Main: R
Alt: W
Alt: B
Alt: Y
Me.

I can make fun of/troll you all while finding bigger trolls than myself.

Joking aside, they would probably wouldn't pick from us. If they did, the only ones I can see becoming a community manager is either Jacky or Ronin.

And me.

No, seriously, me, not joking.

Inb4someoneargues

I chewed my first pack of gum on 1/21/2011 at 5:00PM. Yeah, you didn't need to know, but you do now.

I am the one and only legal spambot on this site, though it's too bad that the glory days of spam posting are dead and gone now.

For the love of god if you want to add me on
Discord, at the very least send me a message on THIS site that tells me who you are.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:47 pm 
Lighthouse Lightkeeper

Mood: Amused

Main: Nex Addo
Alt: Fox Firestrike
Alt: Nex Ferito
Alt: Nex Militis
Most likely, they will already have one assigned from inside the company. If not, and you are interested in a job, you should keep tabs on the "Jobs" page.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:15 pm 
Beast Survivor

Mood: Angelic

Blog: View Blog (3)
Main: Chaos Ronin
Alt: SparX Prodigy
Well, let me simply state the obvious:

Yon is truly dedicated and loyal to this community. He values both the furry and role-playing community as well as contributed to providing player-based content through the fan-site Earth Eternal Radio.

Selecting Yon as a community manager would be a true statement by the new company that they value and appreciate this community's insights, are listening to its voices, and are actively building bridges to bring this fan-base on-board.

Yon brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to such a position and would certainly help tap-into the extensive enthusiasm of this community.

Simply my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:26 pm 
Just like Terra

Mood: Bored

Blog: View Blog (19)
Main: R
Alt: W
Alt: B
Alt: Y
Oh hale no, I'm campaigning against the green froggy named Yonny.

Yes, this argument is because of something in the chatroom.

Apparently, some think I'd make a good CM, which I highly doubt.

I chewed my first pack of gum on 1/21/2011 at 5:00PM. Yeah, you didn't need to know, but you do now.

I am the one and only legal spambot on this site, though it's too bad that the glory days of spam posting are dead and gone now.

For the love of god if you want to add me on
Discord, at the very least send me a message on THIS site that tells me who you are.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:09 pm 
Lifeboat Rower

Mood: Asleep

Main: Bleeding Bow
Alt: Mystic Tree
Terranova wrote:
Joking aside, they would probably wouldn't pick from us. If they did, the only ones I can see becoming a community manager is either Jacky or Ronin.

I have mixed feelings, I doubt they would to; since they are probably going to modify/remake the community atmosphere. Still, they would have to take us into some account, since we can easily define the next community. They might surprise us.

And me.

lol, part of me expected that.

pretty sure a lot of us would want that spot, it's a great community

Ronin wrote:

Yon is truly dedicated and loyal to this community.

Simply my opinion.

lol, that's actually who I was thinking about..

at first I thought about Danny or you (Ronin), but I don't really know you guys to well..

from what I've dug up about yon, he seems he'd be good

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:47 pm 
Lifeboat Rower

Main: Eld Khran
We don't know much about TurnOut Ventures. So far we only know of two people who may be continuing development, but hints of more. Without knowing how many people are working on the project and what their roles are, there remains a slight possibility that TurnOut may be looking for more employees, either now or in the future. Community managers, game-masters, or some other kind of community position, paid or volunteer.

It would be an excellent nod for TurnOut to acknowledge and offer someone here a position, but it's important to keep a clear mind about this. Indeed, it's possible they already have positions filled, or have potential candidates lined up. They have their own agenda to fulfill, and they will pursue it whether we like it or not, even if it means ignoring us. As it always has been, the best we can hope for is for them to acknowledge us, and listen to at least some of what we have to say. There have been several insightful threads and posts here illustrating valid concerns and criticism about Earth Eternal's past, and potential future.

Reading through the suggestion threads, it's clear we don't always have the greatest ideas. Not everything we suggest is practical, feasible, or could otherwise co-exist with the game's existing design philosophies. Still, we have some great ideas buried away. In all fairness it's easy for the good stuff to get lost under a sea of hopeful comments by players with their own unique twists on the game. That will be especially true at relaunch after an incoming flood of players.

As lowly players from beta, we can't blindly assume we're the the absolute best people to offer advice, especially if TurnOut has other plans in mind. To our credit though, we did play the game. That may not sound like much, but as a community we are very familiar with Earth Eternal's lore, gameplay concepts, design philosophy, and internal mechanics. We know all about the errors and glitches because we helped find and report them. We have at least some idea of the things that need to be fixed, improved, changed, or added. We can't assume we're the target demographic anymore, but we as individuals can identify what drew us to the game and kept us playing, or made us quit. Hopefully the new owners realize that and will take advantage of our collective beta experiences.

Our community has people who care deeply about the game and wish it success. Many of us have invested countless hours of time, not just leveling up characters, but trying to understand and improve both the game and community. I like to think at least some of us have the knowledge and dedication necessary to be a valuable asset within the new company.

Being a community manager isn't just a matter of listening to our suggestions. Even if someone from our community is hired, it's likely we could see 99% of our suggestions and complaints shot down. Having someone from our community is absolutely no guarantee that we will be heard, but it's clearly our best shot. Even if we don't agree with future changes, it can still give us peace of mind. Just knowing that someone new on board is sympathetic to our community and truly understands our desires and hopes for the game will make the transition smoother for us. Those of us worried about the new direction might be able to rest easier, allowing us to remain optimistic and hopeful instead of sinking back into negativity and uncertainty. Retaining this optimism could be key to a successful relaunch. Those of us familiar with the old game can help spread the word, especially if the changes are positive. We're free advertising, what company wouldn't like that?

Still, it's been hard for some of us to stay optimistic. The lack of information, slow news releases, and overall secrecy has taken its toll and made us noticeably anxious. The longer we wait, without concrete facts about what the re-released game will look and play like, the more anxious we become. Lots have already drifted away from the community, or only come back sporadically to check for new updates. The longer we wait, the more people will drift away. Having the most players around as possible for relaunch is surely better for the new company.

Those of us remaining are a small group of dedicated players. Many of us wish we could help the new company succeed, but we don't all have what it takes, especially for official community positions. If there's even a slim chance that TurnOut is looking at us for potential applicants, we need to step up with a serious effort and show that we have the knowledge and dedication, that we are valuable and unique, and prove that we are worthy of being on the team. Otherwise, what's going to stop them from hiring someone else? I do hope some of us are invited to join the team eventually, as I mentioned before it would be the best way to keep us optimistic so that the game can relaunch in full force.

All of that said, a Community Manager will have to assume strict responsibilities. They need to be aware of the target demographics, not our small forum, but internationally. They will need to understand social trends and what appeals to these demographics in terms of content and features. In order to provide dual feedback between the community and developers, they must also understand the design process and what it takes to create and manage a successful game. Employees can be somewhat casual and fun as Piggypops appeared to be, but underneath they still have a serious job, so a level of professionalism is required. We hope they'll be like us, easygoing and enthusiastic players, but their job may require them to keep their distance. Especially for GMs and sages, ideally they are impartial to existing social groups, allowing them to fairly judge any conflicts at hand.

Applying for Community Manager or any other position shouldn't be a decision to take lightly. It needs serious thought and consideration. Will you be an asset to the company? Are you ready to set aside your preconceptions and differences with the Sparkplay-era patches, potentially following a design shift away from what we're familiar with?

Of course, I don't really know Piggypops or what his job at Sparkplay required of him, but like any job I expect he had plenty of negatives to deal with. Dealing with the public can get tiresome, frustrating, and sheer rage-inducing at times. Anybody who applies needs to be aware of the challenges, preferably with experience on how to handle them. They need to want the job.

I apologize for my essay, but this should be a serious topic. If any nominations are going to be made, they should be thoughtful and well supported choices. Ideally someone who is dedicated, who knows the game inside and out, having a good handle on both gameplay and community. Someone who has existing experience with MMOs and online communities, and has experience interacting with them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:54 pm 
Survivor

Mood: Alive

Main: Trieste Worgin
Alt: Fayde Savyn
Alt: Marten Severium
these are my votes =P

a. A random person we dont know that works for the company, because....well...because of obvious reasons.

b. Yon, because hes got the experience and is very active in every part of the community

c. Ronin, because he is also very active in the community and he's always asking people what should be implemented to make the game better.

D. Jackuul, because he is smart and has the experience like yon.

I swear im not creepy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:17 pm 
Survivor

Main: Fargin Icehole
Alt: Django Fett
Alt: Pung Kao
Alt: Croak Andagger
What Greth said. Being a CM isn't always a cakewalk. It's a real job and, while it should be held by somebody with a passion for gaming, it takes a lot of responsibility. Here's an old blog post from my friend Andrea (formerly CM Crickette for City of Heroes, Auto Assault, Dungeon Runners, etc..). It's a good read:

A CM's Fears

/twitch™

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:10 am 
Lighthouse Lightkeeper

Mood: Alive

Location: Unkown, my GPS angry at me and isn't speaking to me.
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main: Crashbang Tyron
Ronin wrote:
Well, let me simply state the obvious:

Crash is truly dedicated and loyal to this community. He values both the Furry, Hooman and role-playing community as well as contributed to providing player-based content through the fan-site Earth Eternal Radio. I always tunned in for his segment on How to outrun Sages.

Selecting Crash as a community manager would be a true statement by the new company that they value and appreciate this community's insights, are listening to its voices, and are actively building bridges to bring this fan-base on-board aswell as letting Crash have first dib's on the iced doughnuts with sprinkles before he drools all over the box.

Crash brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to such a position and would certainly help tap-into the extensive enthusiasm of this community.

Simply in my opinion, Crash is awesome * Grovels at Crash *

Nah....... Let Yon or Jackuual do it. But thanks for voting. But really, we get who we get. Meh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next